Sunday, July 01, 2007

Berries and God

Sunday seems an appropriate day for religious reflection. This afternoon I tromped through our woods in search of Black Raspberries. Actually I was in search of Blackberries but about half way through the patches I found, I realized I was eating/picking black raspberries. I called my husband over with my enlightened discovery and his response was, "Yeah. Did you think you were picking blackberries?" I hate it when I'm not as smart as I think I am.

Anyway, while I was picking Black Raspberries, I thought to myself, "Can a person find God picking berries? Is God there too?" Not so much is He IN the berries, although some religious persuasions claim that to be true, but is He present in the day to day, non-earth-shattering events that surround me. I thought about that. I thought about the hot sun beating down on me, making me sweat. I thought about how cool I felt when I moved just inches away into the shade and felt the breeze blow across my damp skin. I thought about how some of the berries are hard and dry and small in the hot sun and just underneath, in the shade, the berries are black and shiny and juicy. I think that the evidence of God is Everywhere. He may not be directing my every step but I think He is definitely present in my Everyday. Taking time to be silent and to think is something that I don't do enough of. I seem to fill my life with words and noise. Always reading. Always listening to music or words. Not that these things are bad. Just that listening to/for God is better.

No comments: